Gym managers, personal training managers, and group fitness managers play a crucial role in managing fitness centres, personal training studios, and sports clubs. Not only do they oversee the day-to-day operations, but they also coach, instruct, and train clients. To excel in these positions, management experience or extensive industry experience is needed.
By effectively managing the facilities, organizing training calendars, and prospecting for new clients, these managers ensure the success and growth of the fitness centers. Additionally, they can benefit from incorporating SEO keywords into their online presence, optimizing their website’s content, and utilizing photos and videos to engage potential clients
- Plans and organises the range and mix of fitness programmes to be offered by the centre.
- Organises publicity to promote facilities and attract clients.
- Selects, trains and supervises staff.
- Ensures facilities are properly maintained and conform to safety standards.
- May undertake coaching, fitness instruction and training of clients.
Gym Managers Summary
The number of people working as Fitness Centre Managers grew very strongly over 5 years:
from 2,500 in 2011 to 4,300 in 2016.
- Full-time: Many work full-time (75%, higher than the average of 66%).
- Hours: Full-time workers spend around 46 hours per week at work (compared to the average of 44 hours).
- Age: The average age is 34 years (compared to the average of 40 years).
- Gender: 49% of workers are female (compared to the average of 48%).
Gym Manager Age Profile
Source: Based on ABS Census 2016, Customised Report.
Gym Manager Education Levels
Source: ABS Census 2016, Customised Report.
What Qualifications Do You Need to be a Gym Manager?
Gym managers need either extensive experience, or a formal qualification in a related field to work. Training may be through a VET Qualification such as the Diploma of Fitness.
Checks, licences and tickets
You may need:
- Diploma of Fitness
- National police check
- Working with children check
- First aid certificate
- CPR certificate
Fit Education Graduates in Action
Check out how Fit Education Graduates are making a differences in people’s lives and kicking goals on Fit Education tube.
Interested in studying to work in the Fitness Industry? Schedule a phone call with our Careers Adviser, just click in the image below.