Gym Re-opening : Gyms, personal training studios, boutique fitness centers are on the way back. There are a lot of things to consider as part of the process. As we like to say: “Failing to plan is planning to fail.” So here is a quick list of things to check that you have covered off on.
- Refer to the Fitness Australia Framework of Operations for Fitness Facilities under COViD-19 Restrictions.
- Check State Government and Local Government Guidelines.
- Membership hold or opt-out options for those not yet comfortable returning.
- Membership options to fit with clients current financial / health constraints.
- Virtual options to stay engaged with members and community.
- In-person and virtual training blend.
- Modifications for high-risk / vulnerable populations e.g. exclusive hours of operation for elderly members.
- Equipment rentals for members in virtual classes.
- Communication strategy to keep members / clients informed on re-opening, membership options, facility procedures.
- Multiple channels: social media, email, phone, in-person signage.
- Email / SMS text automations for quick messages.
- Signage -hand washing / other safety.
- Member Code of Conduct
- Workout gear / shoes washing upon re-entry to your home.
- Own workout equipment.
- Update waivers and policies for COVID-19 (use of facility during the COVID-19 carries risks which the customer voluntarily assumes.)
- Consult lawyer
- Internal messaging for consistent communication.
- Communicate re-opening program guidelines.
- Regular cadence for communicating updates with staff.
- Staff members on leave
- Cleaning protocols : daily / weekly
- Staff code of conduct
- Staff training on cleaning and safety.
- COViD Safe work environment
- Employee health checks
- Employee falls ill guidelines (workers compensation / insurance)
- COVID Coordinator (leader and inspector.) to stay up to date with COVID-19.
- Emphasize commitment to minimize the potential transmission of the virus.
- Mental health strategies
- Secure, compliant system for documenting medical and testing information.
Gym Re-opening – Facility Layout
- Capacity guidelines for facility and areas.
- Layouts for group exercise.
- Visible tape and/or signage to establish traffic flow.
- Contact-less hand-sanitizing stations
- Layouts for equipment
Equipment and Machines
- Deactivate every other machine for social distancing
- Signage around equipment re: sanitize before and after use.
- Outline and Order Hygiene Supplies (gloves, hand sanitizer, face masks.)
- Delays in delivery.
- Hygiene Cleaning.
Front Desk and Check In
- Entry, sanitary hygiene station, temperature check-in station separation
- Maximum capacity standards for facility.
- Schedule appointments
- “clicker” counting
- alphabetical access based on surname
- Lines – outline spaces to stand with social distancing guidelines.
- Plexiglass shields to protect front desk staff.
- Key cards or contact-less scanners
- Touch-pads – disposable cotton swabs for use or regular cleaning strategy.
- Temperature checks on entry.
- If someone has a high fever, ask them to leave and not return until fever-free without medical intervention for three days.
- Cleaning towel and personalized spray bottle of sanitizing solution for cleaning equipment.
- Visible tape to outline social distance in group exercise areas.
- Extra space for dynamic movements
- Utilise outdoor spaces
- Advanced registration
- Monitor attendance to stay within participant counts
- Stagger entry and exit of participants before and after classes.
- Allow buffer time to clean between classes. (slightly shorter than normal.)
Lockers and Change Rooms
- Close non-essential lockers and showers.
- Signage for hand-washing
Big Picture Planning – Gym Re-opening
- Pandemic recovery plan.
- Operational emergency team
- Communications strategies.
- How to message community of a positive test
- Contingency plan of a virus resurgence after re-opening.
- Economic impact of different scenarios
- Supply needs and delivery delays.
- Mental health
Learn more about gym management and controlling risks within the Diploma of Fitness.